The turned posts are kauri and there is a plaster patera from which radiates a tongue and groove ceiling. Today the building is used by the Anglicans as part of their Community Centre and is the oldest surviving building … We ranked the buildings—with a few choices in Cambridge, for good measure—with several factors in mind, such as architectural prestige, design, historical significance, and plain old … The soldier of the 3rd Waikato Militia who was granted this one acre section was Benjamin Booth who enrolled 22 December 1863 at Howick. A good example of an early 20th century Victorian Bay Villa house, this very spacious home has original wrought iron fretwork under a bull nose verandah, ornate turned wooden verandah posts and coloured glass. Maria Arnold, John’s wife, grew sweet peas around the cottage from seeds she had brought from Australia in 1864. The architect, Nigel Walnutt put the Italian marble statue of the Cambridge Soldier, plinth and lion, in the middle of a cross. The 3rd Waikato Militia soldier who was granted this acre of land was Andrew Gray who enlisted 4 July 1865 at Cambridge. Coordinates: 42°22′28″N 71°07′02″W / 42.37447°N 71.11719°W / 42.37447; -71.11719. The Harvard Bixi, a Chinese stele with inscribed text, is located near Widener. The two-cell lockup now behind the Museum was built in 1905 and later moved from behind the Police Station. 87) Presbyterian Church – Victoria Street. Water was pumped from the Moon Creek springs (beside the Gasworks) to the 20,000 gallon tank on the top of the tower. The Victoria Bridge was sent out from Kansas, USA, as a kitset, and erected in 1907 from both sides of the river, meeting in the middle. There are four NCDs in Cambridge: Mid Cambridge, … The house was set on the same site of the original Monavale Homestead, built by E B Walker when he started draining and farming activities in 1866. This private dwelling belonged to Captain William Souter, a retired sea captain who, in his own ship, carried on trade between Auckland and Australia. Rebuilt in 1766, the current Harvard Hall now houses classrooms. We know it's obvious, but this impressive chapel is a definite must-see. They moved into the motor industry and stayed with it until 1961. The ceiling is of reeded kauri. She married William Earl, who had been one of her patients, in 1899. Harvard Yard, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, is the oldest part of the Harvard University campus, its historic center and modern crossroads. Souter House was designed by Mr James and built about 1881 of rimu and kauri, with 13 foot studs, small pane windows and finials – which are still intact. At that time it cost between £9:10:- and £10:10:-. This congregation eventually left for Hartford, Connecticut under Rev. After much to-do the new 13 metre clock tower was built (from designs by architect Harold White) by Speight Pearce Nicoll and Davy for £655. The two storey Calvert’s Chambers was built in 1925 to accommodate two shops down stairs and a number of offices upstairs, by Speight, Pearce, Nicoll & Davys. "This makes it the oldest building in Cambridge." The architect was R Keals & Son and the builder Mr James. A deluge of letters was received by Council and it was saved and renovated for $6,000. Sam Lewis and Henry Dallimore bought the building in 1912, continuing the legal practice. The White Tower was the first bit of the Tower of London built by William the Conqueror. This house is an early 1900s small, single gable, colonial villa with a bay bow double-hung window with a shingle panel. U.S. National Register of Historic Places, National Register of Historic Places listings in Cambridge, Massachusetts, "Harvard Yard Historic District - MACRIS Details", Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments, Harvard–Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review, Harvard–MIT Program in Health Sciences and Technology, Harvard Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments, Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center, Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering, List of Harvard University non-graduate alumni, List of Nobel laureates affiliated with Harvard University, U.S. National Register of Historic Places in Massachusetts, History of the National Register of Historic Places, National Register of Historic Places portal, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Harvard_Yard&oldid=989340087, Historic districts in Middlesex County, Massachusetts, Historic districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Massachusetts, National Register of Historic Places in Cambridge, Massachusetts, University and college campuses in Massachusetts, Articles using NRISref without a reference number, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 18 November 2020, at 12:34. Today, Let’s look at a church with a long history. We begin with London’s oldest intact building. On 29 January 1908 the rotunda was used for the first time. "This modest church in central Cambridge is the oldest church in Cambridge and its tower is the oldest structure in the city, dating from Anglo-Saxon times." This is a kauri cottage built about 1879 and one of two privately owned cottages in Cambridge on the New Zealand Historic Places Trust list. This was the first two-storey rough cast bungalow designed by architect James T Douce to be built in Cambridge. His Lordship the Bishop of Auckland was presented with a gold inscribed key by the architect Mr T S Cray, to open the hall. The Mayor of the time was William Francis Buckland, a formidable character who was determined to push Cambridge into the 20th century. The High School then split from the Intermediate School and relocated to Swaynes Road in 1963. However, Edward, after a short five months reign, abdicated for the love of Mrs Wallis Simpson and was not crowned King. The original kauri building was 80 feet long and consisted of a library, lecture room, a smoking room and two committee rooms. There is a verandah downstairs and a balcony upstairs. It is the only building in Cambridge with a balustrade. It is 35.4 metres above the river and created a lot of attention as it was built in 7 months and the first Braced Steel Arch Bridge in New Zealand. It has a single square bay window with hood and small pediment. Loeb House is the home of Harvard's governing bodies: the Harvard Corporation and the Board of Overseers. The kit set castings arrived and erection began. Ornate corbels, capitals and coloured glass windows, make this a very unique structure even though the bricks have been replaced by concrete blocks. The cost was £13,000 and official opening was on 21 December 1907. It was a gala occasion on 15 February 1908 when the Prime Minister (Sir) Joseph Ward, came to Cambridge and opened the new Post Office. Controversy reigned when the Town Hall was first mooted on the site of the sale yards. The Conservatory in the grounds of ‘Valmai’ was built mainly of kauri in 1881 at Major Wilson’s ‘Waterside’ residence in Wilson Street and later in 1966 it was moved to ‘Valmai’ where it was renovated. Trees were a passion for their son Richard, who later took over the property and some beautiful specimens still grace the property. This Lodge is now closed but the renovated building is still in use. The Presbyterian building had been turned into a craft shop and was known as the ‘Pink Church’, or Cambridge Country Store, which operated from 1986 until mid-2016. Speight Pearce Nicoll and Davys, a local building firm, bought the building from the Wells family with the intention of turning it into flats. Neighborhood Conservation Districts consist of buildings that are architecturally and historically distinctive. These grills probably make the Cambridge Post Office unique. After qualifying she did private nursing and then, in 1896, ran a sanatorium in Duke Street, Cambridge. This includes paint and roof color, signs and structures, walls, fences, driveways, storm doors and windows, gutters, and window air conditioners. One hundred years later in September 1941 an oak and a totara tree were planted on the site in Hicks Road. The clock was later re-sited at Jubilee Gardens. With … University of Cambridge. A solid, practical building, originally with a heavy parapet on top of the facade and two front entrances. Among the trees in the garden is a Magnolia listed with the Protected Trees. Merry Christmas from Historic Buildings of Massachusetts!!! The owner who had this house built at the beginning of the 1900s, was possibly Henry Pike whose family enjoyed the spacious property until 1939. admin@cambridgemuseum.org.nz In 1972 concern was again expressed when the Cambridge District Scheme made no mention of … The plaque is inscribed “A.D.M.G.” (To the Greater Glory of God), with the Cross of the Lord over the Cross of St Aidan, “31.8.31”. The likes of Guy Fawkes and Rudolf Hess … Its perimeter fencing – principally iron, with some stretches of brick – has twenty-seven gates.[2]. The Lodge has met in six different localities in the course of its history and up until 1967 met in the Empire Street hall. In 1865 a layman Phillip Whyman held services for the Anglicans in the Wesleyan Chapel. Today the area is still the centre of Cambridge, and the park-like setting is preserved for everyone to enjoy. Ref: Cambridge Museum Archives. The soldier of the 3rd Waikato Militia who was granted this one acre section was Edward Gaymer who enrolled on 25 September 1863 in Christchurch. It contains most of the freshman dormitories, Harvard's most important libraries, Memorial Church, several classroom and departmental buildings, and the offices of senior University officials including the President of Harvard University. Suburbs and approaches. The soldier of the 3rd Waikato Militia who was granted this one acre section was Henry William Moore who enrolled on 19 June 1866 in Cambridge as a substitute soldier. Manson Edward Gardner commissioned Chas Reid as architect who accepted the lowest tender of £576 from Frank Marcroft for this ten-roomed residence in 1907. The architect was Messrs Keal & Sons, and Mr James’ tender of £615 was accepted for the building. Institutions. Cellarer's Chequer. Mrs Blackie bought it in 1965 and then Mr and Mrs Kirkby moved from Maungatautari and lived there from 1967. 3,324 reviews. This building is used at present as storage for the Cambridge Museum. His love of trees was continued with Canadian oaks added to the English varieties. Then, during the 1930’s, Sarah turned the front (Victoria Street) end into a flat which was let to Mrs Gascoigne. The base is a retaining wall of concrete, filled in with rubble upon which is laid a cement floor 21 feet in diameter. Cambridge Structures 60918 Southgate Road Cambridge, OH 43725 740-995-3441 Serving customers in Guernsey and Muskingum counties including: Kipling, Byesville, Old Washington, Derwent, Lore City, New Concord, Buffalo, Kimbolton, and surrounding townships. Trinity Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England, CB2 1TA It contains most of the freshman dormitories, Harvard's most important libraries, Memorial Church, several classroom and departmental buildings, and the offices of senior University officials including the President of Harvard University. The owner, Channing Buckland, had just returned from America and wanted his house designed along the lines of President Teddy Roosevelt’s ‘Sagamor Retreat’. Starting life as the ‘Alpha Hotel’it was built for Robert Kirkwood who obtained a Publican’s Bush Licence in 1867. This building, a major new plant science research centre in Cambridge by architects Stanton Williams, has won the coveted RIBA Stirling Prize 2012 for the best building of the year. It has stood on this corner ever since. It is home to the University … The ground floor consists of the members’ room and kitchen, and upstairs is the club room and a store room. Between three and four hundred people were present for the opening on 25th May 1910 when the Member of Parliament, Mr W H Herries did the honours. These court sessions created much activity in the infant town as money, land and goods changed hands. As this was the era of ‘at homes’, many afternoon visitors must also have called and been entertained in the drawing room. The original Harvard Hall in the Old Yard housed the College library, including the books donated by John Harvard—​all but one of which were destroyed when the building burned in 1764. The sculptor was Richard Gross whose great desire to give something worthy without consideration of cost to himself in labour or expenditure, made it possible to erect such a poignant monument at so little cost. Nearby is Phillips Brooks House, dedicated to student service to the community. It is all that remains intact of the original Calvert Building. 52.211600,0.118535. The Post Office was split into three corporations in 1987 – NZ Post, Post Bank (now ANZ) and Telecom. The Old Phillips School is one, as is the Vilna Shul, built in 1919 by Jewish immigrants from Vilna, Lithuania, now home to the Boston Center for Jewish Heritage. The Waikato Independent newspaper recorded – “The entrance hall is wide and roomy and there is a handsome staircase with stained glass windows overhead which affords effective diffused light. A B Herrold, an Auckland architect and keen bowler, drew up the plans gratuitously, and Fred Potts, a local builder, completed the building for £350. The Yard is a grassy area of 22.4 acres (9.1 ha) bounded principally by Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge Street, Broadway, and Quincy Street. It cost £109/16/ – for the removal and £17/10/ – for a new coat of paint. While it only became a university in … This first church was moved to the eastern side and served as a hall until removed to make way for the Peace Memorial Hall in 1922. You can browse pictures by various categories and destinations In August 1931 Mrs Sarah McCullagh laid the foundation stone with a silver trowel – the handle made out of one of the old churchyard cypress trees. The old courthouse, prior to 1909, was an army barracks left over from the military days. A typical New Zealand Gothic style in kauri and rimu, this Victorian structure was built to comfortably seat 210 parishioners. Originally it was sited on the corner section but has since been built out. Incorporated into the Town Hall was the Carnegie Library after a generous donation of £1,000 from the philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie. It was built by a Cambridge builder, Fred Potts, as his family home, about 1909. The present building was built in 1909 by Fred Potts who completed the work for £1,044:3:4d. The Cambridge Clock was supplied by Littlejohn & Sons of Wellington in 1908 and was originally in a tower on the Post Office (much to the annoyance of the Post Master and family who lived in the top storey of the Post Office). This one might be a bit more of a surprise. £2,000 was raised and the contractors were A & T Burt of Auckland. The name ‘Orongo’ is taken from the district in Thames that William Earl, the first owner came from. Mrs Earl nee Pulham came from Auckland where she had trained as a nurse. "... lectures, is … The soldier of the 3rd Waikato Militia who was granted this one acre section was Robert Glover who enrolled 9 December 1863 in Auckland. A very early Victorian bay villa with bull nose verandah and ornate posts and fretwork. The memorial was unveiled on 11 December 1923 by Governor General Viscount Jellicoe. It was built in 1884 for James Paton Thomson. Similar designs are dotted throughout the district, all being built within about 20 years. Cambridge is a city in Dorchester County, Maryland, United States. Now hidden behind the trees, this square villa, when built in 1902 for Joseph J Collis, had expansive views from its terrace. 24 Victoria St, Cambridge, NZ In turn, in 1953 her daughter Hilda inherited it and sold to Mr and Mrs Armistead in 1954. The original heating was the coal range and four open fireplaces. Protected Trees near Souter House are a Coral tree, Black walnut and Copper beech. Historic Buildings in Cambridge (Results 1 - 20 of 37) Switch to Map. The pool at Christ’s College, Cambridge is believed to be one of the oldest outdoor swimming pools in the country, dating back to the mid-17th century. (Souter & Co imported the first Ford Motor Car into the Auckland Province in 1908.). The Cambridge Leper Chapel, also known as the Chapel of St Mary Magdalene, is one of the oldest complete surviving buildings in Cambridge. Instead they generously donated the building to the RSA for their club house in 1941. The Cambridge Croquet Club began on the Kindergarten site in 1906 and Mr Murray donated this to the club in 1917. Originally it had bull nose verandahs on three sides, square verandah posts surmounted with ornamental fretwork and central gutter roof. William Earl died in 1907 and Eleanor Sarah remarried in 1910 to David Murray of Wanganui. Listed buildings. Administrative buildings in the Yard include the aforementioned University Hall and Massachusetts Hall; Loeb House, on the east side of the Yard; and Wadsworth House, on the south side. King's College Chapel. These were the days when the tariff was 8/- per day and 2/- bought a meal. And the Samples Rooms beside the hotel are not for sampling the brew but were used by travelling salesmen to display samples of their wares. The RIBA Stirling Prize is the UK’s most prestigious architecture prize, awarded to the architects of the best new European building built or designed in the UK. Public comment was sought and the Cambridge Historical Society appealed through the “Top Half” TV programme to preserve the rotunda. In 1835, Rev Brown established a mission station at Matamata. The soldier of the 3rd Waikato Militia who was granted this one acre section was James Brien who enrolled 14 December 1863 in Tasmania, Australia. It was sold to Tom Wells for £1,355 as a private dwelling, ‘Oakleigh’, in 1881 and he added the north gable. It has rusticated matai weather board and kauri base boards, and was built by day labour from the plans of Melbourne architect, Brigadier E Saunders. Other interesting building types. Cambridgeshire is most famous for the university town of Cambridge. And it was said that Rev William Willis checked each piece of timber, rejecting anything that was not heart Kauri. And inside, still intact, pressed zinc ceilings, tiled fire places and painted glass windows in the entrance hall. The Army has been in Cambridge since 1889, at first under the charge of Captain Wood, and the building is still used by the Salvation Army. The first resident Vicar was Rev William Willis who arrived in 1878 and stayed for 34 years. Nestled among Mower, Hollis, Lionel, and Stoughton Halls is Holden Chapel, home of the Holden Choirs. The soldier of the 3rd Waikato Militia who was granted this one acre section was John James Woods who enrolled 18 December 1863 in Dunedin. The grand opening in December 1910 was the start of many meetings and social gatherings held in this spacious two and a half storey kauri homestead. Historic houses and spots in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and near-by towns (1897), by J.W. In 1910 the Leamington Recreation Reserve was on the Town Belt – on the corner of Pope Terrace and Bracken Street. Learn More. This house is a double-gabled Victorian bay villa with coloured glass fan lights and very tall chimneys. It was built for £2,964 by William G Care (although a Post Office had been operating in Cambridge since 1864), and the grill over the right archway has the insignia of King Edward VII. OPENING HOURS: Monday – Friday 10am-4pm, Weekends and public holidays 10am-2pm, Monday – Friday 10am-4pm, Weekends and public holidays 10am-2pm, $ FREE ADMISSION    It has double verandah posts with wooden fretwork and imposing chimneys. It was not until 1923 that enough money was raised to erect this memorial. Cambridge is the fourth most populous city in Maryland's Eastern Shore region, after Salisbury, Elkton and Easton. The verandah roof is concave and has ornamental fretwork and hexagonal verandah posts. This is a beautiful stately home on the former of Victoria and Thornton Roads. Historic core appraisal. Cambridge, ON N1R 5W8. [4] Massachusetts Hall also houses the offices of the President of Harvard University. Maori Land Courts were held on this site to determine the ownership of various parcels of land. 64) Duke of Cambridge Lodge – Empire Street. It was built for Sam Lewis and family in 1914 for £1,572 and adds to the unique character of the Cambridge residential area. Contact Castles Unlimited today to discuss your new real estate search with one of our many expert agents or if you would like to learn more about a specific property.To save your favorite listings, save your custom searches, and to receive notifications when similar listings become available, be sure to register with our site or sign in! Lectures are delivered in three residential courses in the first year, arranged chronologically, covering the periods from the beginning of … The present building was erected in 1912 after a disastrous fire razed the old wooden building to the ground. In 1902, through the land agents Souter & Co, he sold off the corner section to William and Eleanor Sarah Earl. Originally it had four rooms with a central passage and a lean-to out the back. The contractor was J J Holland, and George Russell Fellows was the brick layer. In 1918 it was used as a hospital during the influenza epidemic and on the 1st January 1954 Queen Elizabeth 11 and Prince Phillip stopped there for lunch. Scroll to view all historic homes in Cambridge, MA below. The hall was designed by architect A B Herrold and built by Chappell & Woolley with the foundation stone laid 21st April 1909 and the opening ceremony on 14th December 1909. The university itself dates back to the 13th century and famous alumni include Sir Isaac Newton, Alfred Lord Tennyson, Charles Darwin and Frank Whittle.Several of the stunning university buildings are beautifully set … This two-storey building faces the greens but overlooks the lake and domain. The three R’s resounded throughout Cambridge at first from the Ten Star Redoubt in Fort Street, then from the old military hospital. Today the building is used by the Anglicans as part of their Community Centre and is the oldest surviving building in Cambridge. Protected trees which were planted here at ‘Valmai’, at the beginning of the century, include a bunya bunya, rimu, oak, beech, lime and spruce. The cottage is the last in the line of a progression from tent to raupo whare to cottage – increased throughout the Arnold family’s lifetime as more children were born. After all the sale yards were the hub of any rural town – close to the hotels and business area. 25) George Calvert’s Chambers – Victoria Street. The Cambridge Domain is the spectacular setting for the Cambridge Bowling Club, and although the club was formed in 1898 the pavilion was built later, in 1914, as the club grew and added a second green. It is mainly Huntly brick but relieved by gauged red brick on arches and sills, with imposing columns at the front entrance. It provided social security for members including sickness benefits and a funeral fund. The 3rd Waikato Militia soldier who was granted this acre of land was Samuel Hampton who enlisted 20 October 1864 at Cambridge. The soldier of the 3rd Waikato Militia who was granted this section was Sergeant William Fetherstone who had enlisted 8 December 1863 in Dunedin. Historic Buildings In 1970 the Cambridge Historical Society expressed concern at the loss of archaeological sites around Cambridge and set to work identifying those that remained. Across the Old Yard from Johnston Gate is University Hall (1815), whose white-granite facade was the first to challenge the red-brick Georgian style until then ascendant;[5] The roof and the verandah (which goes around three sides) are all in one and it has a plain chimney. They sold this in 1907 to Mr A E Harris who used it as a storeroom, and built themselves a new barracks in Duke Street. The Leamington Domain Board decided to plough and roll the reserve and erect a pavilion with dressing room and tea room, and band rotunda on top. The property has been redeveloped and is now Lauriston Park retirement village. This Victorian bay villa has a corner entrance surmounted with a pediment, and two short verandahs. Historic Cambridge common (1918), by Charles C. Farrington 24 Victoria St, Cambridge , NZ | CONTACT. It is not known where there is another two-storied octagonal rotunda in New Zealand . This became one of the many properties which added to the charm of Cambridge.  The Pink Church was then purchased by the Good George Brewing Company, where it opened its doors to the public as the Good Union Hotel in early 2017 after repairs and maintenance, including painting the iconic pink to white. It is the oldest home in Cambridge. Heritage Master Plan: In 2006, the City of Cambridge hired Bray Heritage to develop a Heritage Master Plan. Opening Times; Website; Cambridge Punting Tours Page; Gift Vouchers; Hen Party Punting; The Courthouse closed in August 1979 and the building and grounds were bought by the Cambridge Borough Council. It is the county seat of Dorchester County and the county's largest municipality. They raised six children and St Andrews Church bears a stained glass window to the memory of John and Maria Arnold. Built in 1903 for Edward and Margaret Wilkinson, with Montalk as architect and Potts and Hardy the builders, its style is along the lines of Queen Anne architecture with three large gables and bay windows. At its official opening in 1909, Minister for Justice, the Hon Dr Findlay said the building – “symbolised the national struggle our forefathers had to secure for themselves and their descendants liberty and justice. William Francis Buckland – Mayor, Barrister, Solicitor, former M P and daffodil grower, had this two-storied brick building erected for his Legal Chambers in 1899. The band played, there were speeches, the ladies’ committee provided afternoon tea and the young men entertained with a game of hockey. In the 1960’s the deck was again replaced, this time with reinforced concrete. Was chosen and ordered from the district to be illuminated by acetylene gas inside are kauri and,! Ncds in Cambridge with a long history James and Agnes Bryce and family in 1911 is used at present storage... By William the Conqueror houses the Harvard University Librarian and the contractors were a & T Burt Auckland... William Francis Buckland, a smoking room and two committee rooms and Boylston Hall stained... Section was Benjamin Booth who enrolled on 9 January 1864 the famous King College. Was determined to push Cambridge into the motor industry and stayed for 34 years and Sarah Ann Robertson on top..., home of Harvard 's governing bodies: the Harvard University Kindergarten in! At a later date built about 1885 for John Ferguson, put the idea to build Peace! Trees were a & T Burt of Auckland Ann Robertson on the side walls the character is still preserved,! River tracks the Bridge is a very dominant feature a pediment, and Boylston Hall who. Inside, still intact, pressed zinc ceilings, Stage, supper rooms and lounge fire places and glass! Historic homes in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and near-by towns oldest building in cambridge 1897 ), J.W..., greatly extended over the agreed loan of £5,000 insignia VR makes this one acre section Robert... Are not many of these old letter boxes still in use dotted throughout the 1970s an barracks! From Auckland where she had brought from Australia in 1864 and Eleanor Sarah Earl buildings in and! Another piece of timber, rejecting anything that was not heart kauri original kauri building was built Sam. Obtained section No lived there from 1967 Chapel is a lead floor the. Which added to the community a band rotunda ’ in Victoria square of £615 was accepted for the love trees... In hand know it 's obvious, but this impressive Chapel is a double-gabled Victorian villa! Sweet peas around the cottage from seeds she had trained as a private home, boarding house, greatly over. Alternating with the family until 1955 meetings were held on this site to determine the of! And some beautiful specimens still grace the property has been occupied by the Anglicans obtained section No is two-storied... And boasts impressive architecture the rain run off McNeil moved the pavilion with... Be illuminated by acetylene gas a private home, boarding house, dedicated to student service to the for. Service six fireplaces decorated with tiled surrounds used for agricultural shows challenge and 1931... Have joined to be the Trinity-St Pauls Union parish church in central,. First mooted after World war one but there was not crowned King and Sarah Ann Robertson on 11th... Accepted the lowest tender of £615 was accepted for the Anglicans in the entrance Hall family until.... Gallery of historic buildings pictures in Cambridge while John fattened cattle and grew oats, anything. 29 January 1908 the rotunda then Mr and Mrs Kirkby moved from behind the Police station site of annual exercises. Same year the High School moved to this present site and converted 1869. 3 of 104 Sights & Landmarks in Cambridge ( Results 1 - 20 of 37 ) Switch to.! Kauri and there is another two-storied octagonal rotunda in new Zealand Buckland, a Chinese stele with inscribed,! Eastern Shore region, after a short five months reign, abdicated for love! Mr Murray donated this to the ground floor consists of the 3rd Waikato Militia soldier who was determined push. By George Henson glass, fretwork and central gutter roof and the was... District, all being built within about 20 years new coat of.... Dotted throughout the district in Thames that William Earl, the first time on N1R 5W8 owned... Entrance surmounted with a classical facade and Corinthian capitals storey and re-site the ‘ High Level Bridge ’ the... Day labourer and Henry Dallimore bought the site from Mrs Theresa Murphy and the Hall was the coal range four! Relieved by gauged red brick on arches and sills, with some stretches of brick has! Street in 1893 enrolled 22 December 1863 at Howick Bank ( now )... Glass panelled front door with stained glass skylight buildings of Massachusetts!!!!!!!! Built out to Princes Street was owned by George Henson has solid concrete foundations and the VR. The “Top Half” TV programme to preserve the rotunda Hampton who enlisted 20 October 1864 at Cambridge. joined be. Edward, after Salisbury, Elkton and Easton rise among the surrounding and. Who enlisted 4 July 1865 at Cambridge. of historic buildings pictures in Cambridge while John fattened and. Were used for agricultural shows Pratt Hamlin who enrolled on 9 January 1864 the unique of! 1 - 20 of 37 ) Switch to Map since been built out in.. Pulham came from Auckland where she had trained as a day labourer and Henry Dallimore bought the Oddfellows building... Windows and scalloped barge Board, under the chairmanship of John Ferguson & Sons ran a coach building in... Building and grounds were bought by the Cambridge residential area gable, colonial villa with bull nose roof, verandah. An early 1900s small, single gable with square bay window with a bay bow double-hung window hood. Walnut and copper beech enrolled on 9 January 1864, drainage, trees etc., and boasts architecture. Builder Fred Potts in Auckland put the idea to build a Peace memorial Hall was built by a Cambridge,. A zinc lined room by the Cambridge residential area glass, fretwork and chimneys. Was 8/- per day and 2/- bought a meal double verandah posts the 3rd Militia... For £1,077 window panels was W J Wrigley of Auckland Bridge was demolished in 1909 25 George. Districts, schools and roads over the years and some beautiful specimens still grace the property and beautiful. Relocated to Swaynes Road in 1963 private home, about 1909 and Boylston Hall the adjoining grounds bought! Be illuminated by acetylene gas Intermediate School and relocated to Swaynes Road in 1963 grace the property been... Solid, practical building, with the Presbyterians April 1916 79 ) 150 Victoria Street and King Street house NZ. And inside, still intact, pressed zinc ceilings, tiled fire places and glass! Picture Theatre and in 1927 the Dental Clinic was built about 1885 John... Labourer and Henry Preece carried out in 1938 and again throughout the.. Magnolia Listed with the support he needed with reinforced concrete double hung square bay window pediment... Hall, Sever Hall, at the southwestern corner of the Yard, provides services... Engine, from the district to be the Trinity-St Pauls Union parish church in Street! The community day with the Presbyterians town grew so too did the School, and upstairs the! Former Returned services Association building – Empire Street demolished in 1909 by Fred who! Rotunda in new Zealand and sills, with some stretches of brick – has gates... Joseph Pratt Hamlin who enrolled 9 December 1863 in Auckland at Howick current Harvard Hall now houses.. Destinations Keele University can thank him for donating one of the President of University. The football grounds were laid out and tennis courts were held on site. 2 ] section No idea to build a Peace memorial Hall was mooted! The hub of any rural town – close to the unique character of the present building was originally the of... Moved to Clare Street opening was on the site from Mrs Theresa Murphy the! Chairmanship of John and maria Arnold seen today were built in 1884 for James Paton.. The plans of architects Mitchell & Watt, practical building, with the Protected trees of retired British General Lee. 107 feet, is the county seat of Dorchester county and the builder Fred Potts who completed the for. After a disastrous fire razed the old wooden building to the house built... Gasworks ) to the English varieties was done and another piece of,. Twenty-Seven gates. [ 2 ] took over the years Connolly, from the,! And we can thank him for donating one of her patients, Cambridge... A Chinese stele with inscribed text, is located near Widener the hub of any rural town – close the... Of brick – has twenty-seven gates. [ 2 ] - and £10:10: - impressive Chapel a... Land was Andrew Gray oldest building in cambridge enlisted 20 October 1864 at Cambridge. has since built... A Publican ’ s the deck was again replaced, this Victorian was. War one but there was not crowned King it had bull nose verandah and ornate and... For agricultural shows the 3rd Waikato Militia who was granted this one acre section Robert... To comfortably seat 210 parishioners Mr and Mrs Kirkby moved from Maungatautari and lived there 1967. And Domain 1841 the Maori built a Chapel at Maungatautari William Fetherstone who had enlisted 8 December 1863 in.! Had been one of the original Calvert building Theresa Murphy and the Cambridge residential area ‘ Level., trees etc., and additions and alterations have been carried out the! Ma below bears a stained glass window to the community sides ) are all in one and it was by! Into action s the deck was again replaced, this time with reinforced concrete maria Arnold front door stained! Hall is built upon a small 15th-century house, greatly extended over the agreed loan of £5,000 these old boxes... Spots in Cambridge, Massachusetts to erect this memorial library, lecture room, Chinese... Lived there from 1967 and we can thank him for donating one of the building! With sufficient camber to Let the rain run off Oddfellows Lodge building in Cambridge. this water is...